Shibori & Indigo Dyeing Kit
The art of shibori and indigo.
Shibori (しぼり/絞り, from the verb root "shiboru" – "to wring, squeeze or press" ) is a Japanese manual tie dyeing technique, which produces a number of different patterns on fabric.
Imprint Corner Shibori Starter Kit provides everything you need to begin your shibori journey. This shibori kit allows you to create and maintain your very own indigo dye vat. Also the kit includes all the shibori tools you need so that you can create your own unique and interesting designs on fabric.
Easy to follow videos and written instructions are available online. The traditional art of Shibori techniques; Itajime, gomu-maki, hakomura, Hachinosu, arashi and kanoko. How to make your natural indigo vat.
Each kit includes:
- 20g Natural bio indigo powder
- 80g Sodium hydrosulphite
- 150g Soda ash
- 1 pair of gloves
- Itajime shibori blocks (2 x square, 2 x circles)
- Rubber bands, Twine and Pegs.
What can I dye?
Natural Fibres : Silk, wool, cotton, bamboo, linen, hemp, any natural fibre.
How much can I dye ?
Up to 500g of Natural fibres; fabric or yarn
500g is approximately (roughly 2 meters of linen or similar plant-based fibre & animal fibre).
What else will I need?
- A bucket
- small bowls (old cups) to mix soda ash & indigo
- Just some basic equipment most of which you may already have. Please note that any utensils/dishes used for dyeing should not be used for cooking food afterwards:
To care for your dyed piece;
- machine wash cold
- wash with a gentle eco-friendly detergent
- hand to dry, dry in the shade